Re: [Usability] window drop shadows?

On Tue Nov 16 11:59 , Mark Drago <markdrago mail com> sent:

>On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 12:20, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 10:26 -0600, David Zulaica wrote:
>> > what i'd really like to see, which follows along the same idea, is having the
>> > item in focus display as normal (opaque, in this case) and have all other items
>> > in the workspace that don't have focus become translucent (with the option to
>> > adjust the level). that's a usability feature i've been waiting for for many
>> > years but haven't come across yet. it'd be nice to see this in future versions
>> > of gnome.
>>
>> All the current test implementation I have seen does this.
>
>This topic came up at the gnome summit when we talked about where we
>should be using transparency and other fancy effects that are possible
>with composite.  The problem with making out-of-focus windows
>semi-transparent is that it becomes fairly difficult to use two
>applications at once (i.e. web browser & word processor).  So, if I was
>writing a research paper by doing research in a browser and writing in a
>word processor it becomes fairly difficult to read out of a
>semi-transparent window.  Xinerama installs also need to be taken into
>consideration.  These reasons are likely what led Apple to only make the
>window borders semi-transparent on out-of-focus windows.  That's
>something else to think about.

that reason alone is why i mentioned making the level of opacity
user-adjustable. it doesn't need to be much by default, really. i've been
messing with mock-ups for the past couple months and have found,
depending on the workspace bakcround, that it can still be very usable.
obviously certain backgrounds will require different levels of opacity,
but if someone's going to take the time to change their wallpaper,
they'll take the time to adjust out-of-focus opacity.

application switching is an issue with mult-tasking, period. unless the
user has their resolution set very high or they are using a multi-monitor
setup, they most likey won't run having out-of-focus opacity being an
issue. besides, using your example, a lot of cut-and-paste is employed
when dealing with two-plus applications. the issue of out-of-focus
opacity doesn't remain an issue in this instance because the wanted
application will be in focus as is needed.

the exceptions, i've been finding, seem far few in numbers compared to
the average user. besides, having it as an option will allow those who
simply don't want the feature the ability to turn it off.

there are always issues with multi-tasking. quite frankly i find
click-through the biggest issue, but i'll save that for another thread.
;-)

david