Re: [Usability] window drop shadows?

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 12:20, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 10:26 -0600, David Zulaica wrote:

> > what i'd really like to see, which follows along the same idea, is having the
> > item in focus display as normal (opaque, in this case) and have all other items
> > in the workspace that don't have focus become translucent (with the option to
> > adjust the level). that's a usability feature i've been waiting for for many
> > years but haven't come across yet. it'd be nice to see this in future versions of
> > gnome.
>
> All the current test implementation I have seen does this.

This topic came up at the gnome summit when we talked about where we
should be using transparency and other fancy effects that are possible
with composite.  The problem with making out-of-focus windows
semi-transparent is that it becomes fairly difficult to use two
applications at once (i.e. web browser & word processor).  So, if I was
writing a research paper by doing research in a browser and writing in a
word processor it becomes fairly difficult to read out of a
semi-transparent window.  Xinerama installs also need to be taken into
consideration.  These reasons are likely what led Apple to only make the
window borders semi-transparent on out-of-focus windows.  That's
something else to think about.

--Mark.