Re: [Usability] optimised window placement and wide screens

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:46 +0100, John Keller wrote:
> Shouldn't the window manager take into consideration the relationship of
> parent-child windows? Perhaps centering dialogs on the appropriate
> window, or similar to the sheets in Mac OS X (aside from the fact that
> Gnome dialogs aren't modal).

Metacity should be centering dialogs in all cases where the app
correctly indicates to the WM the parent-child relationship.
A random example, open gnome-terminal, choose Edit->Profiles, that
dialog should be centered on the terminal window.

Sometimes apps don't mark the dialog as a child, and then metacity is
kind of screwed - there isn't a way to guess really.

So really what you want to do is raise the issue for each specific app
window and dialog pair, so we can get those apps fixed.

Havoc