Re: [Usability] Re: Patch added for closing all spatial windows via menu and shortcut key

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 13:03 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> However from an end user point of view I would argue that these
> different modes appear as different applications and therefore it would
> be appropriate for Ctrl+Q to be used to close all spatial windows (and
> likewise the "Close All Windows" in the browser mode could also use
> Ctrl+Q for consistency).

I think ctrl-q makes sense with the above behaviour only if it's really
true that users typically consider spatial windows and browser windows
as distinctly separate groups (or "applications," if you will).  Given
that you can launch a browser window from a spatial window (right click
| Browser Folder), I'm not sure if this is true.  A user might expect
ctrl-q to close all "file management" windows she opened.

Ctrl-Q has the expected behaviour of "make all windows for this
application go away," but Nautilus is a weird case.  As far as I'm
concerned, I like the idea of Nautilus having a ctrl-q, and having it
behave as you describe above (ctrl-q applies separately to spatial and
browser windows) would suit my use just fine, but I don't know if that's
what a typical user would expect.

We may never know either without user testing.  I think a safe
compromise would be to pick another shortcut to close all spatial
windows, and not worry about a similar option for browser windows.

Cheers,
Jason.

(I am not a usability expert.)