[Usability] Broken Gnome2

I hope this is the correct mailing list, if not please point me in the write direction.

I am running SuSe 8.2. originally configured to run gdm and gnome straight out of the box.
I attempted to add true type fonts and broke gnome and was forced switch to KDE.
When I try to run gnome2 apps I get:

(ggv:3659): Bonobo-WARNING **: Exception emitting state change to 0 'Zoom0104' '0'major 2, IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0

(ggv:3659): Bonobo-WARNING **: Exception emitting state change to 0 'Zoom0101' '1'major 2, IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I have re-loaded gnome, down loaded and installed the latest fontconfig and still cannot
get gnome2 apps to run.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Ed