Re: [Usability] Re: FileChooser's path bar and re-rooting

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:16:32 -0500
> From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam holoweb net>
> To: Gnome Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Re: FileChooser's path bar and re-rooting
>
> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 10:55, Bryan Clark wrote:
> > from gtk-devel-list: moving this part to the usability list...
> [...]
> >   Going to /home to get to someone else's home
> > directory for shared files is a flaw in the interaction design of the
> > system.
> and often doesn't work - they might be on /u or /export/home or
> whatever.  This is why some file choosers support ~ and ~user directly,
> often in that notation (pervasive in Unix if slightly cryptic).
> The gnome file chooser (pre 2.6 at least) supported ~user.

Yup, Liam is right of course.

It is really annoying when ~ and ~username aren't properly supported by
autocomplete.  I can give you not one but two real life examples:

I have one network where my account is located at
/u1/other/ugrad/2005/username
and on another network it is at
/users/ug/username