Re: [Usability] The New File Selector

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 20:30, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 11:13, gabor wrote:
> >
> > and who decides which UI is broken and which is not?
>
> Who decides which code is broken and which is not?
>
> It ultimately comes down to the maintainers and the peer-recognized
> leadership in the project. If the meritocracy is working properly, these
> are the people with the expertise, skills, and track record to trust
> them to make and iteratively improve decisions.
>
> In the area of UI ideally we have people with training and experience in
> the study of interaction design, and those people are applying sound
> principles and methodology. Just as we'd expect programmers to have
> training and experience in programming and trust them to apply their
> skills.
>
> Linus isn't taking an opinion poll on patches and neither should the
> interaction designers take an opinion poll on designs. Both of them care
> about what people want and can benefit from feedback, though. Both of
> them can make mistakes and would generally collaborate with peers.

i understand this....

it's just that .....hmmmm.... i like that both the spatial and the
classical nautilus is kept...(i just hope that the classical will also
get improved from time to time)..because i think sometimes you can work
much faster with non-spat nautilus if you browse deep hierarchies.

yes, normal users won't have that deep hierarchies, but i am a
programmer, and i also want to use gnome :). and i understand that to a
beginner it is easier to imagine that a folder is a window, but i am not
a beginner and i know what a folder is :)

and when someone writes, that he misses the textfield, because he can
work faster with that (btw. i think everyone agrees that you can find a
file faster with a text entry + tab completion, if you're looking for a
filename (and not a thumbnail picture)),
and then he gets a reply, that using the textfield is actually a broken
UI, and he must learn something else
(and that with stuff like medusa or storage or simias or winfs or
whatever you won't need to browse?!??!?!?! then why is the
gtk-file-selector here at all? and why are we improving it now, if it
won't be use in the NEAR future),
 then it becomes a little frustrating

but maybe i am part of the  minority, because i still most of time open
a gnome-terminal and use vim :)
(btw. speaking of which, konsole is still 2xfaster :(

i hope this text expains my feeling/thoughts,

gabor