Re: [Usability] Save As or Export when going to lossey formats?

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 21:59 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> A few applications (but not many) include an Export menu for formats like
> PNG or other raster graphics where data will be lost (and usually there is
> no corresponding open/import for that format).
> (I realise the Gnome Human Interface Guidelines recommend using the
> term Sava a Copy instead of Export, but in some applications Export did
> have more meaning to it than that).
>
> I'm wondering if this is actually a good idea because I was reading some
> release notes for Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and it explains that it has gotten
> rid of the concept of 'Export' (with the exception of legacy plugins that
> require it).  I'd like to believe that they put some thought into the
> change and that might be some usability basis to it.
>
> So is seperating out lossy file formats to the Export a good idea, and if
> so when is and isn't it a good idea?

I think this is a very good idea.  When using Gnumeric to save to a
format like CSV, I get a warning about loss.  When a format is being
transformed to a lossy format, I think the intent is to use the data for
another application--the term 'Export' reinforces the user's intent.
'Save As' should be reserved for formats that the application can manage
the data as it sees fit.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.