Re: [Usability] Panel-dockable menubar now possible?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:20:19AM -0400, Dave Ahlswede wrote:

> Maybe it would work to have the menubar shown at the top switched by a mouse
> click or keyboard activity in a window, instead of window focus when the WM is
> in sloppy focus mode, and maybe there could be a time delay as well(such as if a
> window is focused for ten seconds, then its menubar gets switched up, but if it's
> just moused over for half a second, the menubar would stay low)

Such are impossible (or at least very hard) to get right.
Would also make for a hard to understand behaviour / unconsistent feel.
(I use sloppy focus myself.)

Oh, and personaly, I use only one panel at the top with main menus, window
selector, notoification area, virtual desktop thingy ... There is enough
useful stuff to be put in panels to make good use of screen edges.

Not to forget that the MacOS menu model is not exactly easy to understand.
Can be quite confusing to have the radical menu changes, or to be in a app
without any window left.

---
Thorsten Wilms