Re: [Usability] File open selector suggestion

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 15:53, Ole Laursen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried the file open selector, and the large bookmarks pane to the
> left seems very disturbing. Wouldn't it be possible to use a dropdown
> box instead? I've mocked up a design where the leftmost top button is
> reused:
>
>   http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/misc/file-open-selector.png
>
> Perhaps that's a bad idea and it would be better to use a separate
> button. But regardless of the placement of the dropdown, it makes the
> design much cleaner.
>
> The dropdown menu would then contain an entry "Edit list" or something
> like that, which opened a window like the current bookmarks pane with
> add and remove buttons and drag and drop functionality. What do you
> think?

Actually I think the bookmark panel is the best thing about the new file
chooser.
I'd just suggest to make it single click instead of doubleclick cause
that is the most common behaviour of lists like this (e.g. in
preferences dialogs (galeon, evolution...). It also lacks the
possibility to drag folders into the bookmark section. But it's great
anyway, I think!

David

--
Otto von Bismarck once remarked: “A fool learns from his experience. A
wise person learns from the experience of others.” If so, how to define