Re: [Usability] Comments about this new paradigm?

At 08:24 AM 1/28/2004, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
Hello dear usability experts,
I was wondering what you think about this new program/paradigm.
Screenshots and code at:
  http://segusoland.sourceforge.net
Does this violate some usability rule?

The only rule in usability is to design for your user.

Personally, I find the initial interface to be overwhelming. All verbs (I'd make that 'actions', since I'm going to guess that the average user doesn't think in terms of parts of speech) looks to be a bloody huge list. How long do I have to scroll until I get to 'view picture'? And what if I'm thinking of 'look at picture' instead of 'view picture'? How do I know that I want to print the picture first? I want to look at it first, then decide to print it.

What if I don't know the difference between burning a disc from ISO and burning a data disc? Why should the user have to care about that difference? Isn't the difference between burning an audio disc and burning from audio and a CUE file a rather arbitrary distinction? What if I don't think in terms of burning a disc, but rather copying a disc?

Users generally tend to like moving from left to right (in cultures that read that way, anyway). Your interface lets the user start anywhere, which means that they have to do a lot of searching back and forth to figure out where they're going next. There's no meaningful progression. I see that you've tried to add a red arrow to address that issue, but the issue here is with your design and not the interface itself.

You spend a lot of time taking about actions, files, programs, and devices, but not very much time talking about the 'all times' thing. That seems to indicate that it's not an important part of the interface. For most tasks, most people don't want to schedule them. I don't want to view a picture in an hour, I want to view it now. Certainly, scheduling is important for some types of tasks, but not for the vast majority of them. Your example of shutting down the computer is probably a bit of a stretch.

The 'go' button is just odd. It looks like, for the most part, I don't have to use it (say, I click 'view picture', select the picture file, select the program, and it's there. But other times, I have to notice that Go button, and then click it. This means that there are two different interaction styles for what the user sees as the same kind of task. Or am I wrong, and I have to go back to the verb column and click the 'go' button that always appears there? That's an extra step, an extra click, and it just slows me down.

For your 'very good Tracy Chapman' songs, it looks like I have to create a folder for 'Tracy Chapman', and then create a folder (subfolder of 'Tracy Chapman'? I have no idea) that indicates that some songs are 'very good'. This means that I have to have organised my media files according to that kind of scheme. I can't speak for anyone else, but my media files are organised in folders by artist, then subfolders by album. And I'm not going to rename the files so that they say 'very good' in them. What happens if I think that 'Fast Car' is a very good song, but my boyfriend despises it? Do we each have to create a category of 'very good' songs, so that I have to click on 'Tracy Chapman', 'Nadyne's songs', and then 'very good', so that I get to listen to 'Fast Car'?

/nm