Re: [Usability] Inconsistent states

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Lars Clausen wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:54:52 -0500
> From: Lars Clausen <lrclause cs uiuc edu>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Inconsistent states
>

> Hi!
>
> We're considering how to handle inconsistent states in Gtk widget for Dia.
> We have various widgets like checkbuttons, entry fields, spinners, and
> optionmenus, and need to be able to show an inconsistent state for these
> when editing the properties of several objects.  One widget has an
> inconsistent state: GtkToggleButton has gtk_toggle_button_set_inconsistent,
> but how to mark other things inconsistent?

The evil Yes/No toggle buttons must die!
Checkboxes all the way.

There may be circumstances where toggle buttons could reasonably be used
instead of checkboxes (and I cannot think of any in Dia) but buttons that
change their label depending on state are very bad for accessibility and
to a lesser extent usability.

Not that it changes the point of your question (but one less widget type
to worry about trying to fix).

> GtkEntry:  Grey out the entry area, but have a popdown menu with the
>   existing choise.
> GtkSpinner:  Same.
> GtkOptionMenu:  Have several items selected at the same time, the button
>   greyed out.

Best I can tell, what OpenOffice.org Draw does is show the current value
(colour, line width, etc) if the objects are all the same but show a
blank if they are inconsistant.

> We have our own color selection widget that we can reasonably deal with.
>
> Any comments on these ideas?

If you asked this on the Dia list already I must have missed it, otherwise
I'd have found out how Visio manages and provided some screenshots (which
I'll try and do over the next few days).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Dia is for Diagrams  http://gnome.org/projects/dia/
Inkscape, Draw Freely  http://inkscape.org