Re: [Usability] Locating the mouse pointer when it is on the bottom of the screen?

Uno Engborg wrote:
Maurizio Colucci wrote:

Maurizio Colucci wrote:

Hello,

It is common knowledge that buttons anchored to the edges of the screen are easier to click, even if they are small: it is like the button had an infinite dimension along one axis. For example, if you have a button to the top edge of the scrren, you abruptly move the mouse vertically to the top of the screen, to the very last pixel, and then you only need to adjust your pointer horizontally.

For this reason, I believe, Gnome (or at least Ubuntu Gnome) uses two panels by default, instead of one: because they can be put at the two edges of the screen, exploiting this logic.

The problem is that the bottom panel is not as easy to use as the topmost one because, if I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, to the very last pixel, I don't see the mouse pointer anymore! It is difficult to understand where I am pointing.

Unfortunately, the bottom panel contains the taskbar, which is much more frequently used than the other panel.

Of course I can move the taskbar, but other people may not be able to do it, and in general it is a pity to waste a useful edge of the screen.

I thought maybe the problem could be solved by flipping the mouse pointer vertically when the mouse is on the bottom edge of the screen. What about it?

Mau

I may have made a curious discovery: I watched four people who usually keep the window-list (=taskbar) on bottom and two people who keep it on top (sorry, I don't know anyone else who does).

It seems that who keeps the taskbar on top tends to move the mouse towards the buttons in a straight diagonal line, then adjust only horizontally. On the other hand, who uses the taskbar on bottom tends to reach the button along a curved line, the end of which is vertical.

The latter behavior is of course less logical and efficient. I guess they developed this habit _because_ of the limitation of not seeing the cursor when it is on the absolute bottom.

Interesting.
Perhaps we should high light the button as they are moused over. That way it people wouldn't need to see the curser to determin what button they was about to click.

?? Taskbar buttons are already highlighed on mouseover.

I don't believe that's enough, as I said in another post. You know where you are, but you don't know how much you have to move to reach the right button.