Re: Playlists [Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback]

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Sunnan wrote:

> Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:09:13 +0100
> From: Sunnan <sunnan handgranat org>
> To: GNOME Usability List <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: Playlists [Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback]

> >> Good idea. Bastien, do you think it is feasible to have a shared (fd.o?)
> >> playlist format for all (GNOME) multimedia apps?
> >
> > Rather than come up with a whole new standard I think one could probably
> > pick from existing standards.
> >
> > Music players seem to widely support .pls and .m3u already
>
> Yes, so what's wrong with using one of these?

If they meet the specified requirements then sure, fine.

I prefer the more modern XML playlists as they leave room for all sorts of
extras that I'm sure people will want to add  like associating images with
their playlist or adding other kinds of metadata.

> A simple list of files is great, because it can be created by piping
> the output of ls or find to a file.

Start with what works (m3u, pls) but leave room to expand (add some
kind of standardised xml playlist later).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan