Re: [Usability] Civilised user interfaces

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 13:59 +1200, Callum McKenzie wrote:
> >From the food-for-thought department:
>
> It should be obvious that if the software is nice to the user then they
> will react better to it. However, I found this article interesting in
> that it actually tests this idea:
>
> Jeng-Yi Tzeng, "Toward a more civilized design: studying the effects of
> computers that apologize", International Journal of Human-Computer
> Studies, 61 p319-345 September 2004

Interesting study, I've never seen a user test of this system done.

In a psychology oriented paper that I read a while back, which I can't
find now, it mentioned how this type of interface was probably more
detrimental in the long run.  Essentially it's like me punching you in
the gut over and over again and saying I'm sorry every time.  The first
couple times you might think I really meant it, but over time you'll
become more upset because you'll feel that I am doing it on purpose.  My
apology eventually means nothing to you, from your perspective I'm just
saying it to get away with punching you since I'm obviously not
stopping.

Now since the computer systems are going to make the same mistakes over
and over again without learning and doing things different you can
always "punch the user in the gut" and apologize, but it's really only
effective in the short term.  Long term they will be more upset with the
system when they see the dialog "I'm sorry, I tried but couldn't ping
the IMAP server.  Error: Success".  :-)

~ Bryan