[Usability] Accessibility for visually not impaired people (me that is...)

After a small accident were I turned on some accessibility settings,
removing ordinary screen fonts and got those alien thingies for blind
people, I've wondering if Gnome should have alternate escape routes for
those not blind.

I'm not sure but I think there are two main problems, one is how a
person with disabilities could turn the computer interface into
something he can communicate with and the other is how someone without
those can turn the computer back.

What I've thinking of is something like easily recognizable buttons with
"Don't panic!" in gdm or the panels that turns the settings back and
forth between some standard settings.

Perhaps the best would be to place some big buttons in the gdm that will
change overall setup according to its name ("ordinary", "blind",
"on-screen keyboard", "no keyboard repeat" or whatever) all written
clearly in high contrast and with signs readable on Braille display.

Some thoughts of what to override; the arrow buttons should override the
usual pointing device, the user chosen locale should be overridden with
a standard one (or one of a few), the system fonts should be overridden
with something more safe.

Note there is no use in been able to change some accessibility settings
from within the desktop if you can't navigate the environment.

John