[Usability] More panel treats.

In an email posted to the desktop-devel list I proposed changes to be made to
the panel-notifcation.  It has been indicated to me that these changes  are
not relative to this applet, but rather to the panel as a whole.

Below is a revision of this message:

Navigating between applications via the window-list applet is a time tested
method, which we have all grown to enjoy.  It allows a visual indication of
application/window titles in a confined area, increasing the total desktop
working space.  This is a good thing.

However the more applications which are opened, inevitably the more cluttered
the list becomes, making the reading of titles harder and in extreme cases of
busyness, actual selection difficult.

I have noticed there are applications to which a visual window-list indicator
is unnecessary.  Such include Gnome's Gaim.  And when enabled to function
with the notification-area applet, the window-list becomes more readable and
hence the desktop as a whole more usable.  It would however make more sense to
allow complete docking support for such applications.

Understanding that Gnome has in the past decided not to take advantage of such
a feature, there are not so many applications which use it's advantages in
the Gnome suite.

I would now like to talk about other applications, some of different widget
orientation, which in their own environments do take advantage of this
feature.  KDE's KPPP is a prime example, as yet no alternative is included
with the Gnome distribution.  If allowed to dock, more space is cleared for
the window-list, this also is an optional function to KPPP, but it is popular
all the same.  As Linux and Gnome are free software it seems likely third and
second world adoption is imminent.  Modems and the PPP protocol are unlikely
to become obsolete for a long time.

Another example of such an application would be Korganiser, itself popular but
this time it's functionality is dependent on dock-ability.

Choice is something open-source software provides to users.  Non inclusion of
cross-desktop dock-ability, restricts users choice in the applications they
can use and/or how they use them.  It is a feature which users are accustomed
to on Microsoft, Macintosh and other open-source desktop alternatives,
including KDE, the ever increasingly popular XFCE and Fluxbox.  Each of these
alternatives offer the docking service for GTK+/GNOME applications with these
features, as well as there own and KDE docking support.

Before the panel can become truly functional for users,
who themselves like the choice to mix their preferred applications and
desktops, cross-desktop dock-ability must be included.

It seems, there is still space available on the upper panel, I feel that
function revision of the panel area would benefit
the usability of GNOME desktop and open-source desktop users in general.  As
well as the overall perception by potential and current users.  The lack of
cross-desktop dock-ability is a function which hinders GNOME usability.

I finish by asking that you take these arguments and their implications into
account and urge you to strongly consider the suggestions contained within.
I choose to speak as I too want to see GNOME and other open-source desktop
alternatives succeed in both market penetration and functionality.

sincerely

Alastair Poole