Re: [Usability] File Chooser Dialog

Il ven, 2003-09-19 alle 16:03, Soeren ha scritto:
> There shouldnt be any general purpose help in a specialized
> widget such as a filedialog. But help specific to the function
> of buttons etc is a must. This could easily be achieved with
> hover triggered hints.
>
> But speaking of optional - in my mind a gnome/gtk filedialog should
> have multiple optional tabs for specialized file views, such as
> "resent files", "new project file" (with icons that represent the type
> of project file ie. PHP, HTML etc for web authoring software for
> instance) etc. These tabs should only be enabled by the software, not
> the user.

These shouldn't be in the file chooser dialog. Recent files is already
in most applications, as it should be, in at least one or more menus.
And "new project" has absolutely nothing to do with the selection of a
file. Also, the only place where this makes any real sense is a
DTP-style app, where you need to choose document size/layout. Otherwise,
the different types of documents should probably have different types of
editors for them. If you're looking for something more like what Windows
has in terms of the "New Document ->" context submenu, GMC had this, and
it would probably be trivial to add to Nautilus and/or the panel.

-- dobey