Re: [Usability] An idea for Nautilus new OO-based UI

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, [iso-8859-1] Joao Victor wrote:

>  * Opening a new window is a slow process. Users that haven't got the
>    lastest CPU will find this feature "bloat".

If what you say is true, *this* needs to be improved. The UI shouldn't be
redesigned to cope with this perceived problem.

>  * If you've got too many subdirectories (which is common nowadays),
>    you'll end up with your desktop full of Nautilus' windows, which is
>    not very nice to the eyes, and also consumes lots of RAM.

What is 'too many' and why is it nowadays more common then it used to be?
Why do you assume all those subdirectories need to be opened?

> Given these problems, i think there is a good, and very simple solution
> to this: use tabs.

You really shouldn't have said that! :-) Please search the archives of the
gnome lists on discussions about MDI, tabs, window grouping, etc. It has
been discussed lots of times.

Short conclusion: Tabs are, sometimes, a necessary evil but we want to
restrict their use as much as possible...

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: lost / kwijt! :-(