Re: [Usability] Notification area abuse has started...

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 14:59, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> http://linuxtoday.com/developer/2003091201726NWGNRL
>
> Somehow we have to get the message across that the notification area is
> for *notification* purposes, not for stupid gimmicks. If we don't stop
> this abuse, the notification area will be like a windows systray nightmare
> in no time...

	Totally agreed. There was some discussion on notification area
guidelines some months ago which finished inconclusively. My initial
proposal was:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-March/msg00351.html

	I tried to sum up the ongoing discussion in:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-March/msg00401.html

	But there were quite a few other ideas on what this thing is supposed
to be for. If anyone wants to go back and really try and nail this issue
down, that hold thread is worth re-reading and summarising.

	Calum has put together some draft guidelines in the HIG which look a
good start to me - I'm sure he'd be interested in feedback:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig_new/desktop-notification-area.html

Cheers,
Mark.