[Usability] FYI: Thesis: "User-Interface Metaphors in Theory and Practice" [Pippin Barr]

Hi,

recently I came across this thesis, written by Pippin Barr of the
University of Wellington, Department of Computer Science. I believe it
will be interesting for some of you, it surely was enlightening for me.
The thesis explores user interface metaphors employing techniques from
other fields, such as semiotics, develops a taxonomy, and heuristics for
generating coherent and helpful metaphors.

Thesis' Abstract:
User-interface metaphors are a widely used, but poorly understood,
technique employed in almost all graphical user-interfaces. Although
considerable research has gone into the applications of the technique,
little work has been performed on the analysis of the concept itself. In
this thesis, user-interface metaphor is defined and classified in
considerable detail so as to make it more understandable to those who
use it. The theoretical approach is supported by practical exploration
of the concepts developed.

http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~chikken/research/thesis/final/thesis.pdf