Re: [Usability] Placement of "Don't ask me again" checkbox in dialog windows

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:29:08PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> The reason the HIG does not discuss it is because it is recommended that
> you avoid this question entirely.

That's why I wrote my previous mail; nothing in the HIG currently prevents
programs from asking for two decisions in one dialog box, and (in my eyes)
what's not forbidden is allowed, so one could draw the conclusion that the
HIG allow "Don't ask me again" checkboxes.

> Perhaps with a more specific description of the circumstances we could
> recommend a way to avoid needing to ask the question at all?

Yes, I agree this would be possible in many cases, and I could live with a
rule in the HIG which says so.

The particular example I had in mind is Galeon 1.2's question about
accepting cookies; two buttons "Yes"/"No" and a "Don't ask me again"
checkbox. This could simply be changed to use four buttons:

  The server xyz wants to set a cookie - what should be done with its
  cookies?

  Allow this cookie    Deny this cookie    Allow all cookies   Deny all cookies

[snip]
> PS Jigdo looks interesting, snappy name too
> http://home.in.tum.de/~atterer/jigdo/
> from the screenshot I see you are using a button labelled only with '...'
> it is better to use a word usually 'Browse...'

Whoa, I'd better be careful when posting here. ;-) Fixed.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _