Re: [Usability] Other names for assistants

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Gregory Merchan wrote:

> Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:08:55 -0500
> From: Gregory Merchan <merchan phys lsu edu>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Other names for assistants
>
> With the endless prattle about things that were pretty much set a few years
> ago, I think some new names are in order. So, here we go:
>
> "Oh, that thing . . . just keep clicking in that spot until it goes away."
> "Those things that would let you see every page if only X had translucency."
> "Fake Web Forms"
> Sequential Dialog
> Cue Cards
> Dialog++
> Dialog#
> Transmogrifying Window
> Dynamic Sheets
> Poor Designs
> Programmer's Reliefs
> RollAids

What a great idea!
People keep demanding we innovate,
Druid was too obvious improvement,
embrace and extend lusers,
but Gregory has shown us that we can do even better!

Transmogrifying Window, yeah, let's use that!!!

INNOVATION!!!

Thanks Gregory.

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

P.S. But seriously though, having paid careful attention to the current
discussion I would love to blindy ignore it and call them Wizards mostly
because it is what I am used to, but I can't.

Good translators know better than to translate things litterally (and sane
people know that "Druids" is a desperately over extended metaphor, purely
for the sake of change)  but Assistants is clearly the best choice.  I
only hope the documentation won't preclude the use of the term Wizards
to help people like me stuck in the past.