Re: [Usability] Re: Term: assistant

On 4 Sep 2003, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Date: 04 Sep 2003 09:11:52 +0200
> From: Murray Cumming <murrayc usa net>
> To: Eugene Oconnor Sun COM
> Cc: "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>,
>      "usability gnome org" <usability gnome org>
> Subject: [Usability] Re: Term: assistant
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 17:31, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> > I think "assistant" is the best term to use.
>
> I agree.

I agree that Assistant is a better term to use than Druid.

However I think Wizard, as used by both Apple and Microsoft and KDE* (and
I suspect user interface designers in general?) is the _best_ term to use.

* RedHat describes the gtk app 'internet-druid' as Internet Configuration
Wizard in the Menus.  KDE has a tool called Desktop Settings Wizard (which
usually runs at startup in KDE but not in Redhat) which is clearly
labelled Wizard in several places.
(A quick search on the web didn't help me verify that KDE officially uses
the term wizard or if it was indeed a completely generic user interface
term that should not be changed).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.