[Usability] A quick thought on personas

Hey All,

We never really did get personas sorted out for Gnome :/ Well it has
been in my head that there are two distinct user environments that we
have take into account:

* The user is using a normal user account for security reasons but
he/shes has the root password and wants to be able to do certain tasks
as administrator without logging out from his/her user account.

* The user has an account on a multiuser network or pc and does not have
the root password. This user does not want to be offered adminstation
options is his/her desktop because they have no way of using them.

This distinctions is particulary important when:
a. Deciding how to intigrate libgnomesu
b. Deciding how to intigrate gnome-system-tools. There was talk of
intigrating it into the control center instead of having it as a
sepporate item. This makes sense for the user with the root password,
but would be a real PITA for the user without the password, unless it is
very obvious which options are only for root.

One idea is to offer a "hide all administration tools" option as part of
lockdown mode. But it would probably be better to intigrate these tools
in a way that suits both type of users, if possible. Maybe both..

Thanks for listening

--
Mark Finlay
Computer Science Student