[Usability] Setting Gnome Panel Defaults

Can someone explain to me how to set up the default gnome-panel for a new user?  I'd like to add several drawers and launchers for all users on the system and set the same panel configuration as the default for all new users.  I am running Gnome 2.2 on RedHat 9.0 systems.  I apologize if this is not the right list for this question but it seemed to be the best fit (please direct me to the appropriate list if this is the case).  As far as usability goes, the apparent random naming of panel launcher settings is not very usable.  It should be a fairly simple and straightforward process to do what I'd like to do.  Instead it seems to be very involved and confusing.  This could use a little work.

Thanks,
Gordon Shankman

Gordon Shankman
Software Engineer
Northrop Grumman Information Technology - TASC
4801 Stonecroft Boulevard
Chantilly, Virginia  20151
703-633-8300 x8670