[Usability] Proper use of disclosure triangles (more or fewer options)

I'm building a search interface.  There are far too many criteria
clauses than can be shown on the screen, and only a few are relevant for
any search.  To avoid asking the user to scroll to find the options (and
possibly loose them), I want to only show the options that the use
chooses to see.  I don't see this scenario addressed in the HIG, though
it was discussed in 2001-12.

I've seen:

> more file name options
(MacOS, GTKTreeView)

[] more file name options
(gnome-search-tool)

| more file name options >> |
(gnome-system-monitor)

I believe the last example might be correct.  This is a screen-shot of
the nonsense I want to avoid.

http://members.cox.net/sinzui/medusa/msearch-gui.png

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.