[Usability] Re: [Conglomerate-devel] Undo/Redo questions

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:02, Dave Malcolm wrote:
> I'm implementing undo/redo within Conglomerate - with unlimited undo
> support - and I have a few questions for the Usability experts out
> there.

Cool :)

> (i) Interaction of Undo/Redo with Clipboard
> If the user copies some text to the clipboard, and they then select
> "undo", should we try to restore the old state of the clipboard?  I
> believe it's easier for both me and my users if the answer is "yes"
> (although I've yet to delve into the  details).  Imagine the case where
> a user has a long sequence of operations involving the clipboard, which
> they undo back through, then redo, then undo, to get to exactly the
> point they want - I believe the clipboard should be in its "historical"
> state at that point, rather than be whatever it was in.  But this gets
> complicated if the user then copies some text in another app.

Undo/Redo should be oblivious to the clipboard.  It should neither
modify what's in the clipboard, nor attempt to use what's in there to
restore it's state.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus
There's a fine line between genius and insanity.  I have