[Usability] Re: Say goodbye to those ugly ass add-to-panel submenu blues

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Erick Woods wrote:

> Maybe categorizing them won't work or isn't necessary, but as GNOME grows,
> the number of applets will increase exponentially.  I am aware of several
> applets which are currently in development.  I'm sure there are many I don't
> know of and many more to come.  Should people really be expected to scroll
> through a list of 10, 100, 500 applets that are available?  That is a
> usability nightmare which is far worse than the menus.

Having more than 100 applets would be a usability nightmare by itself.
The categories aren't really helpful to most people and by keeping the
core number of applets to a minimum set we can display all of them without
the categories.
Small descriptions of what each applet does would actually seem to be the
best route.

> > Seth and I decided that the categories were a fairly  artificial
> > seperation that didn't add anything. I did have an old version that had
> > categories, but I didn't like it.
>
> Then make it non-artificial and less arbitrary.  Come up with a formal
> specification for categorizing these things.  I have my tsclient applet
> dropped into "Internet".  That's not the greatest spot imo, but it works and
> there were no guidlelines for it's location when I did it.

This is why the categories aren't always the best choice, some applets
don't quite fit into a single category, or there isn't a category for them
at all.

~ Bryan

---

	"Chewed Mail."