Re: [Usability] display full path in spatial nautilus

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Hasbullah bin Pit wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:29:13 +0800
> From: Hasbullah bin Pit <sebol ikhlas com>
> To: usability gnome org, nautilus-list gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] display full path in spatial nautilus
>
> Thing to discuss....
>
> When I'm using windows, i always set "Display full path at title bar"
> in both type of explorer (spatial or navigation)

The Windows setup on many of the machines at our University fails to save
profile settings so I regularly have to turn on showing of the full path
in the Location/Address bar, I sometimes also turn in on for the title
bar, but for no particular reason.  I dont understand why anyone would
want to have a location bar that only listed the filename and did not show
the rest of the location, especially when the titlebar already shows the
filename on its own.

> for me it is usefull for me to know the path of current opened folder.
>
> in nautilus spatial mode, i cant find any option to enable it.
> I think full path should be displayed somewhere, either in status bar or
> title bar.. or some other place...
>
> any comment?

The full path is displayed in the 'Location Bar' which can be enabled by
choosing View -> Location Bar.  I recall that some people wanted to turn
off the location bar by default (whcih would explain why you feel the need
to have the full location shown in the titlebar), something about it being
too much information for ordinary users but I think this is one of those
cases where it is good to leave the extra information there to allow more
curious users to discover and familiarise themselves with the filesystem
hierarchy (particularly when a user has choosen to use the Tree View).

I dont see the need to display it in multiple places (putting too much
information in the title bar might even cause problems distinguishing
different nautilus windows from each other in the tasklist) but perhaps
I'm missing something?

Hope that helps.

Sincerely
Alan Horkan

P.S. In future please do not crosspost.  Chances are you have already
gotten a much better answer from the nautilus list.  I'm not subscribed to
that list so a lots of information will be repeated or lost in this
thread.  Just as in a normal conversation it is much more sensible to ask
a question to one person at a time because you can only listen to one
answer at a time so it is with mailing lists.

When you have discussed this with the Nautilus developers it will be much
easier to ask a question about the usability implications of showing or
hiding the full location.  Although there is list policy against cross
posting I think it is more logical, sensible, polite and easier to manage
for everyone to only ask one list at a time.