Re: [Usability] Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

> 1) Nautilus needs to have the possibility of two different applications
> associated with each file type. The first would be a viewer and the
> second would be an editor. For things like web pages or images, this is
> key.
MMM, doesn't nautilus already have the possibility of having multiple
apps associated with a file type? That one feature it has that I've
never seen anywhere else. I think it may have been me who suggested
replacing open with with "View with" and "Edit with" but that's not
absolutely critial because you can currently have "Open with -> Web
editor" and "Open with -> Web Browser"

> 2) Mimetypes/filetype handlers configuration needs to be fixed and
> stabilized.
I'm not sure whether it would be best of this to happen before or after
file viewer would be removed(if at all). There are a lot ot references
to viewers in the current gnome and nautilus mine dialogs. When fixing
this whole system one would need to be very clear about whether there
will be file viewers or not.

> 3) Major GNOME applications need to build into their architecture the
> ability to use existing instances when available. This is needed for
> speed's sake or at least the appearance of speed's sake. Users shouldn't
> have to start up a whole new instance of EOG just to view an image when
> EOG is already running. Likewise for things like Gimp, AbiWord, etc. I
> believe gEdit and Galeon (Epi too? je ne sais pas) already have this
> functionality.

So does GIMP 1.3 and openoffice. Abiword has no mdi so it makes no
difference really as it starts really fast regardless.

I agree for EOG though. It is way too slow for a viewer app. Pitty that
universal viewer never came to anything.. Guess we should just file bugs
against apps don't use existing instances.

--

Mark Finlay <sisob eircom net>