[Usability] Overwrite mode and GtkEntry

Hello,

I was wondering: what is the general opinion on the overwrite mode
feature of GtkEntry?  (I.e. the one where you can switch to overwrite
mode by hitting the Insert key, so that typing overwrites the character
next to the cursor instead of inserting a character.)

To me it looks more like an annoyance than a feature.  In fact:

      * It is easy to trigger by mistake (since the Insert key is right
        next to the Home key), and once you trigger it it's hard to
        figure out how to undo it.

      * It is per-widget and not per-desktop or per-app, which makes
        things even more complicated to figure out for the poor user.

      * It gives you no feedback on the fact that it's in overwrite
        mode.

      * Even if it gave feedback (e.g. by changing the shape of the
        cursor as suggested by someone), it would still be a confusing
        feature.

      * No-one really uses overwrite mode in entries anyways; neither
        MacOS nor Windows have the feature (AFAIK).

In the light of these observations, shouldn't the Insert keybinding just
be removed from GtkEntry?

-- Ettore