Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

So we have a notification panel, which acts as a server to that receives
non-vital messages from applications and displays them with an icon
and/or pop-up, context menu, dialog box, or whatever presentation gets
decided on. The big deal is that once a user clicks on, reads, and
dismisses a notification, it is gone. (Also, for that matter,
notifications should automatically disappear without having been
dismissed if they are no longer relevant. This would be a good argument
for having them go away when an application exits. But then, there can
be exceptions if the message still applies after the app is closed).

The difference between the notification panel and a dialog box is that a
dialog box is obtrusive for vital RIGHT NOW information, while the user
can deal with the messages in the notification area at his own pace,
right?

I would imagine that it would make the most sense for the notification
panel to be a server, and client apps would send messages indicating how
the user should deal with the message, presentation style (if there are
choices), icon and other visual cues like badges, and if the icon should
be automatically dismissed when the application quits. The server should
return a reference item to the client so the client can send a "dismiss
notification" message if the app thinks the situation is no longer
relevent.

So there is the question of how the notification server will know if the
caller app is dead. Should it wait for dismiss notification messages, or
check and see if a process is still live?

----

Then we have status panel. This is different, n'est pas? So we can talk
about whether there should be a status area (system tray) or just use
applets, but is this not a seperate issue that notification areas?

Is this a valid distinction? Can we design a pure notification area
without dealing with status icons?

Also, how do you get developers to use the notification area properly?
Auto expire messages?

-Wesley Leggette