[Usability] Re: Opinions on menu layout for creating/modifying/deleting comments

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:21:45PM -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> We may have various groups of items:
>
> 1) Cut,copy, paste, paste special, clear, delete, insert rows, cols,
> cells, function, special, fill
>
> This group seems to edit specific cell content
>
> 2) undo, redo
>
> These are super items
>
> 3) search, search and replace, goto, select
>
> are essentially movement items
>
> 4) sheet->*, name, chart, image
>
> are sheet-wide items (charts etc are attached to a sheet not really to a
> cell)
>
> 5) recalculate is a control item, that doesn't really fit
>
> 6) Comment and hyperlink are essentially sheet properties.
>

> One very far reaching proposal would be:
>
> - add (6) to the Format menu (removing sheet from that menu)
> - replacing the Insert menu with a sheet menu including (4) in that menu
> (moving sheet->* out of a submenu) as well as (3)
> - move (5) into the tools or data menu
> - put (1) and (2) into the edit menu (since people expect (2) to be
> there)

I'd rather see (3) in the Edit menu.  That is mostly likely where
people expect it to live.

Name is tricky.  Its not really a sheet level operation.  Most names
are workbook in scope.  It lives in Insert strictly because that is
where XL users expect it to be.

recalc -> Data seems good.
comment/hyperlink -> format is also reasonable given our
	    implementation.

The various sheet objects may be ambiguous later when we try to
support charts and objects in their own tabs.