Re: [Usability] Showing vs. Displaying

There is a sense of revealing something that already exists, but is
hidden, in the verb show, so there is a subtle difference in the meaning
of these two verbs.

I agree that the current definition of display in the GDSG does not
capture this distinction - I'll update the GDSG as follows:

display
Use this verb when an item is not already open somewhere in the desktop
environment. The item needs to be opened, added or  launched.
Example: To display the Background Preferences dialog, right-click on
the desktop, then choose Change Desktop Background.

show
Use this verb when an item is already open somewhere in the desktop
environment, but hidden.
Example: To show more options, click on the More Options button.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Eugene