Re: [Usability] Notification Area Preferences

[Cc: to usability@ added back]

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 05:47:21PM -0500, Gregory Merchan wrote:

> The checkbox, "Allow unidentifiable icons"

This means almost nothing to the user. How is the average user going to
comprehend what this means, and, more importantly, decide whether they
want it or not ?

I suspect you will get baffled looks and "well, of *course* I don't want
unidentifiable icons ! I prefer identifiable ones please" ;)

>  is there in case programs provide icons without setting the
>  recommended hints.

Wouldn't this indicate that such programs need improvement ?

> they should not do this. There is one exception: if the user asks the
> application to show its icon explicitly - e.g., by checking a box in the
> application's preferences window - and the application detects its icon
> is not being mapped, then it should present an alert directing the user

I don't think making the user do something twice is a good idea. The
computer should be able to do what it's told and deal with its own
problems, not hassle the user.

regards,
john