Re: [Usability] HIG: Close button

murray writes:
Does the HIG say whether windows should have GTK+ "Close" buttons in
addition to the WM close buttons? For instance GnomeMeeting has a Call
History window which just shows some information. It's not an alert, so I'm
not sure if an "OK" button would be appropriate instead.

Technically the HIG only states that instant apply and property dialogs ought to have close buttons.[1] Other secondary windows like toolboxes specifically don't have close buttons. The hig has no general dialog interaction comments. To answer your specific question, I think this is an issue of who you ask. For instance if you ask the a11y team they will probably say yes, if you ask greg and I you'll get the answer that close buttons are evil and shouldn't even be included in instant apply dialogs. [2] Hmmm, I'm not being very useful here am I...Maybe the suggestion should be ask calum :p dave

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/draft_hig_new/windows-utility.ht ml#instant-apply [2] Come to think of it, if close buttons are needed for accessibility why don't toolboxes need them too? /me reminds self to not start a flame war...