Re: [Usability] Re: EggToolbar

> > in control center make sense ? I guess most toolbars would go out of screen.
>
> Most toolbars need to be fixed.
> Many Gnome applications are barely usable on smaller screens.
> I filed a report against the HIG in bugzilla, applications must try to
> avoid excluding users with crap hardware and small displays, developers
> and designers invariably have better hardware.
>
> Microsoft have clearly made efforts to accomodate users with older
> hardware, if you look at MSword 97 you will see that the maint toolbars
> are both the same size and small enought to fit on a 640x480 display.
> Conveniently on a display ~1200 wide you can fit them both nicely on the
> one line, which is nice for users with good hardware too.
>
> As has been mentioned before a toolbar with as many as 10-15 items is
> probably already too cluttered for a developers to really know what the
> prorities are.  Smaller toolbars and customisable toolbars allow users to
> choose what they really want if the defaults are ninadequate.
>
> I would really hate to see a few bad implementations and the limitations
> of older toolbars to completely kill off priority text (or whatever you
> want to call it).

Oh I was not proposing at all to kill off priority text completely.
With current implementation there is a way to put the text beside the
icon but not a way to show the text only for the more important items.
That way on a not too big screen I guess items would start to overflow
at 5-6. That's why I was saying most toolbars would go out of screen.

Marco