Re: [Usability] Research paper on virtual desktops

Alan Horkan wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Michael Toomim wrote:

I just saw this CHI paper on virtual desktops:

Interesting, our lecturer called it HCI (Human Computer Interaction) which
is less pronouncable but the word order implies that Human interacts with
computer rather than the other way around.  (not actually interesting if
you dont find linguistics and different uses of language interesting ;)

Right. I was referring to CHI the conference, rather than HCI the research area. :) http://www.chi2004.org/

The users surveyed are all people who use Virtual Desktops.  I would be
interested to know about people who dont use Virtual Desktops and what it
takes before a user makes the leap and uses multiple virtual desktops.
How do new users discover and start using virtual desktops?  Do they
wonder where all their windows just disappeared to?
After many years of using Apple Macintosh or Microsoft Windows I am not
inclined to learn to use virtual desktops.

Yeah, I was left wanting to know more about the subjects that they found. (What were the demographics?)