Re: [Usability] "File views"

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 19:11, Joao Victor wrote:
> Well, because of Linux modularity we all have lots of
> folders such as "/bin", "/boot", "/configs", "/dev",
> "/etc", "/initrd", "/lib", "/mnt", etc, etc etc. The
> thing is that many of these folders are rarely
> accessed from Nautilus, and they may be confusing for
> the common/new user (not to mention that some of these
> folders have cryptic names).

Well some of your points make sense but I don't share the point that
these directories should be hidden by default just because YOU base your
assumption that they are rarely accessed from within Nautilus or that
they may confuse new people. You base your opinion on what ? Personal
taste ? Or what you like to see ? Or you think suits best for other
users ?

Please remember that Nautilus is a Filemanager. It should be able to
access EVERY file on your System and not some or predefined ones that
got decided by people who have no clue how I and others may use the
System. I do agree that .hidden may (or may not, depends on the view) is
a nice idea so people who like to have certain stuff hidden on their
System put their directories there when they think it's time to do this.

A proper and probably good solution (that even I would agree with) is an
userinterface (Dialog, Window) where you can select, deselect these
folders or where you can entirely disable this feature.

What I welcome too (even if it's hard to belive) is that we (the
community) drive a bit away from this 'confuse a new user' theory which
has never been proven. The community we live in is a mixed one based
upon experts, new users and so on. But I think (knowing the underlaying
layer of any GNU system) that people who managed to pass the first
obstacle with such a system would also be able to deal with these
directories.

This is just my personal opinion.