[Usability] Re: making the conceptual model more concrete

Daniel Borgmann writes:

How would such a document UI translate to applications which don't
operate on documents? Like a media player, a game or even a web browser.
I always wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to make a clear cut
between the two models and make document handlers document centric and
other applications application centric.

Media players are document centric. For instance a user opens a folder with all their music in it. The most natural way to present this information to the user is as a media player (ala rb). A game could even fit it into this model nicely. Assuming you have a "New" menu it could have an option for Game and popup a dialog allowing you to choose which game (or possibly a submenu). You could than save that game to a folder, and the next time you want to continue the game you simply open the existing game from the folder you have saved it to. Alternatively you could start a new game from the New menu of course. A web browser is tougher, though epiphany's ui shows that a browser can be made document like somewhat easily (excluding all the tab stuff, but that should really be done in the wm imo). One of my pet peaves of about browsers right now is that it takes too many steps to open a page (either apps->internet->browser or file->new window/tab) I think the internet is ubiquotous enough where having a small text entry to open stuff with from the top panel might be justified see this sketch by seth http://www.gnome.org/~seth/sketch.png and the OpenApplet in cvs.[1]
I believe that this would resemble reality much more closely, both "real
life" reality (we both work with documents and use devices in our lifes)
and computing reality (what people practically use their computers for).
Maybe I just completely misunderstood you. If the Applications menu
would indeed be replaced with a New menu, how would I open a game or
browse to a website? How would I check my dates on a calender?

I answered some of these above. About the calendar, isn't the most natural way to open your calendar to simplay open it. Shouldn't the calendar be a desktop object. Similarly instead of a mail app, wouldn't a mail folder on the desktop be much more intuitive? [2]
Even though Apple has no document UI, I believe that they are somehow
doing this split with their Aqua and Metal UIs. Everything which doesn't
handle documents seems to be converted to a Metal UI. Take iCal, iChat,
iTunes, Finder or even Safari. Some people argue they use the Metal UI just because it looks nifty and break their own HIG[1] on the way, but I

I think this is just a terminology difference. When I say document, I mean object, thing etc. It doesn't need to be an actual document, see above, a game and folder etc these are all documents (objects).
don't really believe that... A web browser for example might not
resemble a digital device, but it still functions more like a virtual
digital device, not like a document. Same for the finder, iCal, etc.

This isn't really true about web browsers. Web browsers manipulate documents. Though the line does blur abit because its impossible to create a 1-to-1 relationship between documents and their views, but this can be worked around. I guess I see a web browser as a document viewer where you can change what is viewed.

[1] http://makeashorterlink.com/?F52916525

Brushed metal is really ugly uggghhh... dave
[1] Not to advertise my own little immature project or anything :)
[2] This is very much how the palm presents these interfaces to the user. In fact the palm pilot is very document like, and does a good job at hiding the application implementation details.