Re: [Usability] Standardizing Find and Replace - 2nd pass

Hi Gregory,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Gregory Merchan wrote:

> Pressing Enter activates the default button "Find Next".
> Pressing Escape activates the Stop button, and closes the window.

The HIG would probably need a little adaptation but this sounds like a
good idea to me.

> In the long run, Find might not even be a dialog. With only three controls,
> it could be a bar that appears at the over the top left corner of the
> document when needed. It would be as unobtrusive as the mini-buffer of

Mozilla does incremental find with the only visible feedback in the
status bar. Admittedly Moz is not a great example of UI design and this
would only work for read-only documents. I say this to indicate how
minimalistic Find can get.

> So, how does this look?

For everyday applications it looks great. But there is one search mode in
jEdit that I absolutely love, and that's Hypersearch. Hypersearching for a
string opens a separate pane with a clickable index of all occurances of
that string within the current buffer, or all open buffers etc. An
advanced feature, of course, but one that could be useful even in mundane
word processing tasks involving large / multiple documents. It could make
sense to add this to the Find/Replace dialog, given that applications
support this search mode.

Out of curiosity: what happened to your window list proposal? Did it find
its way into bugzilla?

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

Softwarepatenten bedreigen Europa. Teken op petition.eurolinux.org!