[Usability]Re: nautilus string change

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:

> Hello Alexander,
>
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > New string "1 GB" (new value for max thumbnailing size pref)
>
> Why is this necessary? See also ui-review bug 99539 - it would be much
> simpler to just have 'small', 'medium' and 'large' and a gconf key for
> people who want to specify their preferred size in byte-precision.

The whole max file size is breaking down, because we're getting
thumbnailers for e.g. animations that can easily be very large, and still
reasonably fast to thumbnail. This change was a quick fix to this to allow
larger animations to be thumbnailed.

I don't agree that small/medium/large makes the preference easier to
understand. It just makes it harder to understand exactly what it does,
and causes more work for those that want to change it.

However, In order to make this pref make some sort of sense and allow a
pretty sane default for images, maybe we should make the max-size pref
only affect actual images, and not stuff with external thumbnailers...

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a fast talking guerilla card sharp with a secret. She's a cynical
French-Canadian nun who inherited a spooky stately manor from her late maiden
aunt. They fight crime!