Re: [Usability]Preferred Applications Design

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 09:19:01PM +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Havoc made a good suggestion in another post in this thread:
>
> hp> You could probably address both of these by having a tab in the
> hp> properties for an application (= launcher in the menu?) that lets you
> hp> change which files the application will be used to open.
>
> I think this is the way to go. Before designing such a page however we
> should answer the question whether such an association would change the
> global default for certain types, or just add itself to the 'open with...'
> submenu, or both;

I think only file types the app is known to be able to open would be
listed, e.g. GIMP:

 [ ] PNG image files
 [ ] GIMP image files
 [ ] TIFF image files

but not:

 [ ] Excel spreadsheet

I believe the "which things GIMP could open" info is also used to
generate Open With, so the file types available here by definition
already have GIMP in their open with menu. The check box controls
whether GIMP is the default on double clicking the file.

There could be an "Other..." button to add a new file type that GIMP
can handle, which would essentially add GIMP to the Open With list
for that new file type; but it would be a bug anytime users had to use
the Other... button probably, as it would mean GIMP didn't install
all the types it could handle correctly. So I'm not sure
Other... should be there.

Havoc