Re: [Usability]User Object Simplification?

To provide some concrete interpretation of what the future diagram means
practically... the Future model is currently implying that when you drag
things to the panel, they actually live there. So for example, if you
drag a folder to the panel it doesn't become a quick way to access that
folder... it moves the folder to the panel (unless you CTRL-drag in
which case it copies, or middle drag in which case you could select
"link here").

"Things" in the future should be a lot more than the objects we have
today (launchers, applets, files, folders). For example, you'd
eventually be able to drag snippets of documents here too, for example
drag the graph out of Gnumeric onto the panel, switch to AbiWord and
drag it off the panel into AbiWord. Or you could select some text in
this email and drag it to the panel. In this manner the panel (and the
desktop / file manager for that matter) starts to serve as a physical
clipboard.

Metaphorically I've been thinking about it sort of like the strips of
cork that some white boards have above them.

-Seth