Re: [Usability]Re: The path to 2.4 -- part 1

Sean Middleditch wrote:

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 18:27, Joshua Adam Ginsberg wrote:
Nautilus definitely needs to be of primary concern for 2.4... there was
an interesting suggestion I read in a RH8 evaluation essay that was
actually linked to off of here... we're getting better at allowing more
system administration functions to occur from normal user accounts by
prompting for a root password... this author suggested that when doing
file management function from within Nautilus, if an operation requires
permissions that the user does not have, then prompt for the root
password... e.g., if I want to copy a file to /usr/bin and I'm not
logged in as root, simply prompt for the root password... or if I want
to view another user's home directory but I don't have permissions,
simply prompt for the root password...

Comments?

If this happens, make sure there is a gconf key to disable even asking -
admins might not want user's to even see that dialog pop up.  (I
wouldn't.)

I would hope that this would be option would off by default so that users who want this type of functionality simply have to turn it on and other users are never aware of it's presence. ( I can see this as a big usuability issue, one more dialog box for users to handle! )

-jag