Re: [Usability] suggestions

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Daniel Paarmann wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:39:00 +0200
> From: Daniel Paarmann <daniel paarmann net>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] suggestions
>
> Hello there.
> I recently switched to gnome 2.2 as my default desktop. During use I
> notice things that could be different to make it more intuitive or easy
> to use (for me). I'm not entirely sure where to send this kind of
> suggestions.

> 1) Properties of application-launcher. You cant see or change the
> properties of the appl. launcher, ie. the command it launches. The only
> way (i found) to change a launcher is to delete the old one and create a

you can edit them in text editor too but that is even less convenient.

> new one. I'd suggest a fifth tab where you can see/change all the items
> you enter when creating a launcher.

Certainly is annoying I'll agree, now that you mention it I noticed it
too.  If it is already fixed as was suggested you might be able to find an
old bug report for it in Bugzilla.

> 2) Nautilus: changing between 'view hidden files and backups' and not,
> is a common action and should be possible with one action. Now you need
> to choose Edit -> Preferences and change it there. I'd prefer an entry
> at the bottom of the Edit menu.

I find myself doing this quite a lot too but I wonder if there is a bigger
problem to be solved of which this is just a symptom.
As you are changing the _View_ and you want to Show Hidden Files, it does
not make sense to have this option in the Edit menu, the View menu would
probably make more sense.

> 3) Nautilus: the nautilus file view needs a right-click context menu to
> manipulate the directory that is shown, ie. create new dir, create
> different file types.

> That's it for now. I'd appreciate any response or advise where to send
> my suggestions.

Definately take a look at Bugzilla.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org

If you dont have a recent version of Nautilus quickly reading the
changelog is probably the easiest way (besides updating) to find out if
the changes have already been made.

It also helps to use more than one word in your subject line, it would
have been more informative if you had written Nautilus Suggestions.
Asking the Nautilus developers might also be a good idea, iff you cannot
tell if these changes have already been made.  Here is a link to their
mailing list archives.
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/nautilus-list/index.html

Sincerley

Alan Horkan.