RE: [Usability]file selection dialogs - curious about presence of "." directory

> A directory in UNIX does actually contain a "." entry, which points
> to it's own inode.

Well, so does its counterpart in DOS/Windows (except root directory).
However, most sane DOS/Windows applications _do_ eliminate it
(explicitly). Couldn't GNOME/GTK+ file dialogs do that too (AbiWord, ?
My question was more related to political/usability issues related to
presence of the ".", not the technical ones. If there's no practical
reason the "." should be there, maybe I should prepare some patch for
file dialogs ?

Chris