Re: [Epiphany] Re: [Usability]Epiphany default toolbar layout

On Sat, 2003-04-19 at 10:17, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> I think that removing the spinner would be okay for advanced users who are
> more adept at understanding what their browser is doing, and people who use
> fast connections because they generally don't have to care what their
> browser is doing. ;-) Anyone on dialup would find the "yes, your browser is
> actually doing something now" notification helpful (if they can trust the
> notification, that is...)

Thing is, Xan and I came up with 4 other ways that the user is notified
that "yes, your browser is actually doing something now".
a) The statusbar text
b) The statusbar progress bar
c) The mouse pointer changes to busy
d) There's a spinning arrows thing on the tabs

Bastien came up with one very very rare edgecase where it could be
useful - If you have tabs that are off screen, then the spinner lets you
know that something, somewhere is doing something, but I don't think
thats a very common case.

The spinner is a relic from when Netscape needed an excuse to get a
button to Netscape.com onto the toolbar. And like I said to Bastien, why
are network applications special enough to warrent a "I'm doing
something" button. Marlin does loading in the background should it have
a spinner to inform the users?

iain
--
"The nearest analogy to the addictive power of television and the
transformation of values that is wrought in the life of the heavy user