Re: [Usability]recent-files and control center

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 18:33, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> James Willcox <jwillcox cs indiana edu> writes:
> > The addition at the bottom of the dialog would allow users to change the
> > default preferences for the recent files menus.  Is this close to what
> > you guys would like to see for this?  (or do you think users should be
> > able to change these values at all?)
> >

> To me this is something that should just be a hidden setting in gconf,
> I wouldn't expect most people to change it.

Ok, maybe so.

> (also, why have number of days? you could just have the max number,
> and keep the items indefinitely.)

Well, one rationale for this is that when the list is full, it makes
things slow, so we want to avoid that.  Maybe making the max limit
smaller (it is currently 500 items) would make that a non-issue.
Another reason is that other things with similar purposes (such as web
browser history) have this option.

One important thing I forgot to include in the dialog is a "Clear List"
button.  We at least need to have this, IMHO.

Thanks,
James